The Paramore Fans will be back in

miércoles, 17 de abril de 2013

The New York Times interviews Hayley Williams

The New York Times had a chance to interview Hayley Williams, they asked her questions about the process of making the new album 'Paramore', also they asked her how she felt during the process. At the end they asked her about what she thinks about being called emo, and she answered: "At 16, 17, I hated it. Now I’m 24, I’m trying to bring it back. Emo for me, growing up, was bands like Sunny Day Real Estate. Most of those bands were gone by the time I got ahold of their records..." Check out the complete interview below:

Q. How was writing without Josh and Zac?

A. We started writing, and we were doing things that we had done before, and it was so boring. There was no inspiration. I remember bringing Taylor a random melody that I had saved in my voice memos, and we turned it into this song called “True.” And it was like, this kind of sounds like Paramore. We had 23 songs that all sounded like they came from different parents. We’re two men down, and something unpredicted [had to happen].

What do you listen to for inspiration?

I usually like a lot of older music. If I’m listening to a new hit band, it’s because of Taylor. I’m not really a Pitchfork [the music Web site] sort of gal. I was listening to the Shirelles and the Angels, who are my favorites, and even Blondie and the Ramones and that period of punk rock. They were writing pop songs, but they were played by punk bands. Every day in the car it was like, why can’t I play “Heart of Glass”? We finally wrote a song called “Daydreaming,” which is a total rip of “Dreaming” by Blondie, because I couldn’t think of a better title.

How did you deal with the band splintering?

I was trying superhard to deny it for a while. The first song we demo’d was “Proof,” a love song. I just wanted to go completely away from the situation. I realized that all three of us were dealing with it. We realized very quickly that we each needed each other to pull through. I was trying to be intentional about not being bitter and not being angry, but using the hope that I felt that we did have a future, as a fuel, and to light me up from the inside.

Did you grow up a lot in this period?

It catapulted me into adulthood. Everything that happened, starting with those guys leaving the band. It was the final break from that “Goonies” theme that I had as a kid: We were going to be a band, it was going to be called Paramore, and we were going to go out in the world and take it over. I related to that story line of the Lost Boys. I look back on it now, and it’s like, would I ever have grown up if I were following this broken-down dream that I had? I look at pictures of us from three months after the split happened, and I’m like, we look like babies. And now I look at pictures, and I’m like, Taylor looks like a man. I don’t know if I look older, but I feel older. You have a choice: You let it make you bitter and tarnish you, or it polishes you into something more refined.

You have a powerful style as a frontwoman. Do you have any performance role models?

Growing up watching a lot of heavier bands play, some hardcore bands and some metal-y bands, I liked that energy — singers like Josh Scogin of Norma Jean. Now I look at people like Freddie Mercury, and I’m like, how can one person do that? Karen O I think is rad. I’m very inspired by even Elvis. I kind of grew up on him. My granddad, his aunt or great-aunt, she took Elvis in when his mom died. My granddad was completely obsessed. He has a whole curio of Elvis memorabilia. I remember YouTubing Elvis and Johnny Cash when I couldn’t sleep. How cool would it have been to play shows like that? It takes a lot to grow up in a time where people aren’t shaking their hips on TV and then have the audacity to do it.

What do you think of being called emo?

At 16, 17, I hated it. Now I’m 24, I’m trying to bring it back. Emo for me, growing up, was bands like Sunny Day Real Estate. Most of those bands were gone by the time I got ahold of their records. I just think of it as emotional, and I want to write emotional music. I say, let’s bring it back.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

About Me

Con la tecnología de Blogger.

Blog Archive

The Paramore Fans

We are a fansite, and here you will find the latest news and updates of Paramore, we will support them until the end. "Let's make it last forever" #paramore. This fansite is run by 2 Paramore's fanbases and 1 Hayley's fanbase.

Paramore tour

Popular Posts

Facebook

About

Twitter

paramore's instagram

 

Paramore

 
 

New Video: "Still Into You"